Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Quiet Saturday Afternoon

It all started when I woke up this morning, donned a white sweatsuit, and headed downstairs for my morning pot of coffee. A cup of joe in my hand, Poppa returned from his early morning trip to Lowes. He asked me if I would like to run with him in Mitch's Ford Pickup to put air in the tires and gas it up, when he sweetened the pot with a Starbucks I put on sunglasses and headed for the door.

Air in the tires and my "grande triple skinny vanilla latte" in hand we were headed back to the house when I looked at the missing heater knob and asked if we could stop at an auto parts store for a replacement. Poppa said why not go to the wrecking yard, so off to U Auto Pull It we went. To save three bucks I went out into the yard alone when I pass familiar non broken tail lights. A perfect rear end to a Seabring Convertible a 99 to boot! I ran for the knob and went to the cashier. I told Poppa I was going back for the tail lights (purple convertible is in backyard with both broken out) he bit the bullet paid the three bucks for his pass and came out with me. I now have 2 one year passes to the yard.

We went to the car that I could only see the rear of and who would have guessed it! The whole front end was in great shape and all there! I quickly disconnected the rear lights while wishing I had more tools with me other than my Leatherman and Maglight (thanks Chris!). I looked at Poppa and said I need tools and something other than white to wear. We ran back to the house tail lights in hand (a quick stop at Sears for a new 19.2 driver/drill Craftsman with lots and lots of bits) charged the new drill and packed my small toolbox full of everything I could think of needed to tear apart a front end.

Panicking wondering if I did not hustle back I would return to a hulk missing all of my needed parts we ran back to the U Auto Pull It yard.







An hour and a half later we have a front bumper, both front fenders (my silver car has minor dings on the passenger fender so we grabbed it for the new car) both headlights, tail lights and brackets, tons of wheel well plastic bits that exploded on impact on the old car, a new battery tray, new visors for the new car (the existing ones were sun faded) and tons of other misc bits and pieces.

I am still very sad I do not own a oxy acetylene torch, if I did the rear quarter panel would be mine! Well I guess you can't have everything.

I spent the entire night with my dad detailing out our new cars and putting on the new visors and such. We got a headlight polishing kit as both of our headlights were very yellowed. After about an hour polishing with the new drill they are in great shape! That kit is my new favorite toy.

The visitor's curse continues, we have been running from morning until night working on everything we can think of. The new back door is ordered, the yard is getting better all of the time and all of the new cars look great! My poor dad is going to be very happy to get to Arizona for a break.

No comments: