Monday, January 21, 2013

Rats!


Tuck had a friend over. His friend brought his pet rat to "scare" me. It worked. Below, Tuck is still smiling at his little trick. He was very pleased with himself for this one!


Tuck biked over 26 miles with his friend yesterday.Yes I did say mountain biking in January. They were tracking the distance with a GPS. Tuck is very proud of his mileage. I still can't believe they rode bikes in the snow. I think he believes it is still summer. The boys went down the old Gardner road, and they passed a couple of groups cross country skiing. I am sure everyone thought they were nuts. 

Today we are taking the holiday off. Snowboarding up at Bridger Resort for the day. I have not been on the slopes in over 10 years. I hope I make it back in one piece! I figure it cannot be any worse than my attempts at cross country skiing. 

My machinist tool box, now a jewelry box:


My grandfather passed away a couple of months ago. I am very grateful to have spent time with him in recent years. I remember one long road trip in particular. He and I drove from Utah to Missouri together, and he told me stories from his past the whole way. Lots of great memories. My Aunt had asked him what his wishes were in the weeks prior to his death. I am forever grateful to my Aunt for taking the time to write everything down, and executing his plans so beautifully.  He said he was not a rich man, but he wanted the mechanics and builders in the family to pick some tools to remember him by. He went on to name all of the men and then added, and Aimee. He went on to say, if there is any disagreement Aimee has the final say, she can handle it.

It makes me smile. 

Of course, everyone behaved themselves. Not a whisper of discord in the whole group. I picked out an old saw that we used to cut the Christmas tree this year. My Uncle told me he fabricated it himself. It worked like a charm. I also selected this toolbox. It was filthy and the green felt-lined drawers had deteriorated. One night of  taking it apart, scrubbing and re-lining the drawers and I have a jewelry box that reminds me of my grandfather.


Tuck and CC pulling the Christmas tree out of the woods saw still in hand



Mitch and Tuck hiking in Arizona

Mitch is still wearing the high school football shirts! I really wish he lived closer, there never seems to be enough time. It is hard just seeing him on quick visits here and there. 

No comments: